NIXA, Mo. -- Hot and dry conditions can make for a very dangerous situation. That's exactly what happened in a Nixa neighborhood. Police believe the fire that destroyed yards and put homes in danger could have been prevented.
Officers say a 19-year-old man admitted to lighting a Roman candle while his friend drove him through the neighborhood. Three yards are destroyed and one home has minor damage. The teenager was arrested and charged with recklessly burning and property damage.
Firefighters and neighbors contained and put out the fire. If folks were not home, police say there would be more damage.
"You will see behind the houses, there's a huge field. The grass is as dead as can be. It would have gone up like a torch. It's a crowded neighborhood with lots of houses. There's just a lot of risk there," said Nixa Police Officer Billy Miller.
"This is sad. It was an immature thing for a person to do. I hope he at least apologizes for it, because it could have been a home, a family, someone could have gotten hurt," said neighbor Amber Neil.