SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Neighbors helped a man escape his burning home just outside the city on Sunday night. The fire started around 10:30 in the 3800 block of South Western Court.
Investigators say the man was in the shower when neighbors began banging on his door and helped him out of the home. Firefighters say the flames caused extensive damage to the back of the home and caused part of the roof to collapse. A shed was destroyed and a section of the siding on a neighbor’s home was also damaged.
Despite the rain on Sunday night, firefighters say people should take the dry conditions very seriously.
"The grass and other combustibles like that dry out very quickly, so, just because it rained, it doesn't mean it's any safer than it was yesterday,” said Battlefield Fire District Assistant Chief Dennis Reynolds.