YOU ARE HERE: KY3 HomeCollections

Man from Harrison is charged with capital murder for toddler's death

Police say he admitted squeezing Jordan Evans and throwing her head first into her crib.

March 15, 2012|by Curtis Hancock, KY3 News |

HARRISON, Ark. -- Boone County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Wes Bradford charged Quinton Huett, 23, with capital murder for the death of 21-month-old Jordan Evans.  Huett appeared on Thursday before District Judge Fred Kirkpatrick.

Bradford is held without bond and is on a 9:30 a.m. docket for arraignment on Friday.   Huett is the boyfriend of Jordan's mother.  He's in jail with no bond set.

The charge filed by the prosecutor says investigators believe Huett squeezed the little girl until she stopped breathing and then threw her head-first into a wooden crib causing multiple injuries that led to her death.  The injuries include a skull fracture; bleeding of the brain, liver and spleen; retinal hemorrhaging; swelling; and multiple bruises.

The probable cause statement used as the basis of the charges says Huett and Alecia Turner took Jordan to the hospital in Harrison shortly before 6 p.m. on Monday.  Jordan was unresponsive and Huett was performing CPR.


"Huett stated to the medical personnel that (Jordan) has been sick with pneumonia, but was not acting normal.  Huett stated they noticed (Jordan's) stomach was swollen, so they put the child down for a nap, only to realize that within 10 minutes (she) was not breathing," the probable cause statement says.

"Medical personnel noticed there was bruising on (Jordan's) abdomen at the lower right area, which was large and swollen.  Medical personnel documented bruising on the child's right foot and back.  Medical personnel documented the child was 'near death with no pulse' when it arrived . . . Medical personnel were able to get the child's heart back to beating and she was placed on a ventilator."

After Jordan was stable enough, she was flown to a hospital in Little Rock. 

An investigator for the state Crimes Against Children Division investigated after Jordan arrived in Little Rock.

"The child is motionless in the bed with no medications of sedation.  Physicians state there is no brain activity at this time, but the child cannot be declared brain dead until such tests are completed.  The child has an occipital skull fracture, blood on her brain, distended stomach filled with blood secondary to liver and spleen lacerations, retinal hemorrhages, bruises in the lower right quadrant and in the mid-chest and down her spine on her back," the probable cause statement says.

Harrison police questioned Huett at the police station on Tuesday morning.   A detective wrote about the interview in the probable cause statement.

"Quinton Huett admitted he does have anger issues, which were compounded by the sickness of the child and problems with the mother of his three children, who he does not live with.  Huett stated that on (Monday) at 620 South Sycamore Street . . . he was playing a Playstation 3 game called Blitz, when (Jordan) started crying.  Huett state Blitz was a video game that requires a lot of concentration, and the crying of the child distracted him and caused him to get angry.

"Huett admitted he walked up to the child, who was in a different room lying down on the floor in an upright fetal position with her head to the side.  Huett stated he picked up the child, facing her away from him, and squeezed the child harder than he should have by placing his thumbs on her back and his fingers on her chest.  Huett admitted he then turned the child around toward him, placed the child's chest against the area of his left collar bone and squeezed the child with both his arms until she stopped brething for a second or two. 

"Huett admitted he then walked into a different room, where the child's crib was and threw the child in the crib.  Huett described he did this from approximately four (4) to five (5) high off the ground, and the child was thrown in head first while facing downward.  Huett stated he believes the child might have hit one of the wooden bars in the bed, because the bed moved a few inches."

Jordan died at the hospital in Little Rock on Wednesday afternoon.  Friends of her family held a candlelight vigil in her honor from 9 p.m. to midnight Thursday.

KY3 Articles