SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A Springfield fire marshal says careless smoking caused the fire at Chardonnay Apartments, 820 E. Montclair St., on Wednesday morning. A resident put cigarette butts in a tin can on a second floor balcony and the butts caught something on fire, the fire marshal said.
The Springfield Fire Department got the first call about the fire at 6:15 a.m. The building that burned has 48 apartments and about 75 residents. No residents were hurt. Two firefighters sustained minor injuries.
Assistant Fire Chief Randy Villines estimates the damage at $2 million. He doesn't believe residents will be able to move back for some time because of fire, smoke and water damage.
The fire chief says low water pressure, high voltage power lines and strong winds made it difficult to put out the huge fire. Crews from City Utilities of Springfield were able to increase the water presssure to help firefighters and shut off the current in the electric lines.