INDIAN POINT, Mo. -- Seven families escaped a burning apartment building on Bentree Lane around 10:15 Tuesday night. Firefighters said none of the apartment units had working smoke detectors.
"We just walked up to the house, smelled it, and didn't think nothing of it," said Nichole Fuller. "We opened the door, and the couch went up in flames."
Southern Stone County Fire Marshal Michael Creswell said a discarded cigarette near the couch in Fuller's apartment started the fire.
"We did have fire spread to the units on the left and right of it, and fire spread to the units below as well," said Creswell.
In total, 15 people were displaced by the fire. Volunteers with the American Red Cross helped those families find temporary housing.