For more information about The Salvation Army, the cooling center or donating fans to those in need please call 862-5509.
When the National Weather Service issues heat advisories for the Springfield area this summer, the Springfield-Greene County Parks Department offers the following each day the advisory is in effect:
- If on Wednesdays through Sundays, Grant Beach Park Outdoor Pool, 833 W. Calhoun St., will remain open until 8 p.m.;
- Chesterfield Family Center Indoor Pool, 2511 W. Republic Road, will remain open until 8 p.m., during heat advisory days;
- Cooling Centers: Citizens are welcome to visit the lobby areas of Chesterfield Family Center, 2511 W. Republic Road, Doling Family Center, 301 E. Talmage St., and Mediacom Ice Park, 635 East Trafficway, during their normal business hours during heat advisory days;
- Gillenwaters Tennis Complex, 3635 S. Jefferson Ave., will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days;
- Perry Tennis Courts, at the corner of Bennett Street at National Avenue, will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days.
A full list of park locations is available at www.parkboard.org. A direct link to aquatic information is available at www.parkboard.org/info/aquatics. The main Parks Department office number is (417) 864-1049.
As the heat index rises for this holiday weekend, the Urban Districts Alliance wants to remind patrons that Fireworks at the Field on Saturday offers many opportunities for families to celebrate their independence and remain cool. From 3 to 9, Fireworks at the Field offers four different air-conditioned venues for families take a break from the heat and still have fun.
For only $5, patrons can enjoy arts activities including face-painting and balloon-twisting at The Creamery Arts Center, ice skate at Mediacom Ice Park, explore the interactive exhibits at the Discovery Center and enjoy inflatables from Amberg Entertainment in the Bill Rowe Training Center at Hammons Field.
The admission sticker for Fireworks at the Field also allows for patrons to come and go as often as they like. We encourage everyone to visit the more than 40 restaurants that call Center City home before, during and after the event.
Main stage entertainment starts at 3 at Hammons Field with local bands, the RetroGnomes, Little Hoover’s Big Band, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin and Big Smith, and followed by the region’s largest fireworks show!
Advance Fireworks at the Field stickers are on sale for $5 at all Springfield area Price Cutter Supermarkets (including the downtown Bistro Market) and the Hammons Field box office. The admission price the day of the event will be $7 per person. Veterans and active military personnel with an ID can purchase stickers at the gate for $3. Children under 5 are free.
Additional event information is available at www.itsalldowntown.com or by calling the Urban Districts Alliance office at (417) 831-6200.