BOIS D'ARC, Mo -- Frigid weather is prompting more people to use wood burning stoves to keep warm. A family in western Greene County knows all too well that they can be dangerous. Fire crews in Bois D'Arc say the house fire was started because the family's wood burning stove wasn't properly installed.
"Any cracks, any place where heat can get through, it's going to," said Ash Grove Fire Chief Tony Monnig.
That was the case in a house fire on Tuesday night.
"I would recommend not ever putting your own wood stove in. You should have a professional come out and do it," Monnig said.
In that case, the wood stove wasn't installed professionally
"Wood takes 350 degrees continuously to make it burn," said Smitty's Chimney Sweep and Stoves owner Vern Smitt.
"They miss one step, one small step, and that creates all the opening a fire needs to get through; all that heat needs. It's more of a heat issue than a flame issue," said Monnig.