HARRISON, Ark. -- For many, the beginning of the new year is a time for reflection. For Leanne and Jim Snell, the memories of spending countless hours fishing with their grandson, Tristan, are bittersweet.
Tristan, who visited them nearly every summer, won't be making the journey again to Harrison. On New Year's Day, Tristan, his father, and three half-brothers all perished in an apartment fire in Redmond, Washington.
The Snells say the young boy loved the outdoors and the Ozarks and just being a kid.
"Like most healthy boys, he was full of vim and vinegar. [He would] want to wrestle and do all those things boys like to do," said Leanne Snell.
The Snells said they find a measure of comfort in losing their beloved grandson because of their strong faith.
"He was saved right here in Harrison when they came to visit. The Lord has His reasons and sometimes we don't understand completely why," said Leanne.
Tristan, 12, also went to elementary school for a short time in Harrison.
Authorities haven't determined an exact cause but said smoldering cigarette ashes in a bathroom wastepaper basket might started the fire.
Raw video of the fire from KING-TV
A report from KING-TV on the fire